This is my take on spooky plant makeovers. After I was inspired by some of the spooky plants and creatures that I had seen on Pinterest and other websites, I lucked upon several artificial plants at Goodwill that I thought I could transform into my own creations. I especially loved the items online that paid homage to The Little Shoppe of Horrors, that had flowers with teeth or eyeballs, or had octopus tentacles. I wanted to monsterfy the plants, but leave them as realistic as possible.
-orange Gerber daisy bouquet
-pink azalea, potted (below)
-pink tulip bouquet
- silk pink azalea plant in green urn (Goodwill)
- flat black paint
- blue wash (Heavenly Hues, which they don’t make anymore. See recipe to recreate) pic
- light blue fabric dye (Hobby Lobby)
- dark blue fabric dye (Hobby Lobby) pic
- small paint brush for painting dye on blossoms
- black scorpions (Dollar Tree)
- hot glue gun
- Spanish moss (gray)
The thing I liked about the silk azalea plant is that it already had an urn shaped pot that was very Gothic and had an old world feel about it. (Note: I can’t find the before picture I took prior to painting the urn.)
I wanted to change the color of the blossoms from pink which is very Spring-like to something more somber. I decided that blue flowers would be unusual. In nature, there are not many true blue flowers, many purple and pink, but it’s rare to come across any that are distinctly blue. I also had a blue wash that I wanted to try on the urn and I thought the blues would compliment each other well.
I painted the urn first because I didn’t want to damage any work I would do to the flowers trying to paint the pot. I wrapped the plant in a grocery bag to protect it from the paint. After a coat or two of the flat black paint had dried, I used the Heavenly Hues blue wash on top. I think the blue gives the urn a patina that resembles a heavy cast iron version. The blue and black also looked a little more spooky.
I first tried removing some of the pink blossoms and soaking them in hot water mixed with a heavy does of blue food coloring. The process was inconsistent. Some flowers, once dried, were spotty and some didn’t take the color as well as others. Not only was the color not taking, but removing the flowers from the bush became a problem. Some of the flowers did not pull off cleanly and came apart or would not pull off at all. Discouraged, I put the project on hold for a while until I came across some bottles of fabric dye that are used to do tie-dye and other crafts. I picked up the light blue and the dark blue because I wasn’t sure which would look the best.
I cut open a plastic zipper bag that was pretty thick, made a whole in the center large enough to wrap around each blossom and slit it through from center to edge so that I could easily put it on and take it off. Basically, the idea was to isolate each flower from the rest of the plant so I could paint/dye it individually without having to remove it, dye it, and then glue it back on. I started with the light blue dye on the bigger outer petals. Then I experimented by isolating the inner set of petals separately and dying them with the darker blue. I liked that the variation resembled something you might see in nature. But it was time consuming doing each flower individually first with the light blue dye and then with the dark blue. Don’t worry if some of the dark blue bleeds onto the light blue. I had to quickly un-dye some of the petals because I didn’t isolate them well enough. Some quick warm water clean up on the mistakes will keep them from being too noticeable.
While the flowers dried, I cut the scorpions in have right down the middle of their for sets of legs. I hot glued the head and pincers end to the center of each full blossom. I saved the tail ends for a future project.
Finally, I glued Spanish moss around the base of the plant spilling over the urn to give it a finishing touch of a plant that has been around a while. Spanish moss is available in several colors or you could spray paint your own color onto the plain stuff. I thought the blue gray color of the natural moss helped further the blue theme.
I am very pleased with how it turned out. At first glance, it looks light an average (fake) plant. On closer inspection, you get a hint of the creep factor.
Now, I want to come up with an exotic name for this new species and possibly make a botanical name plate for it.
Please let me know your thoughts or questions.